Wednesday 24 April 2013

Micro features of film and how I'm using them


  • Mise-en-scène includes settingprops, stagingcostume and make- upfigure expressionand movement and off-screen space.
    I will be using a wide range of props within my imagined film which are connected to Naomi and to her baby. This is so that the film appears to be more realistic. Some of the props which I will be using in my film are:


·         Doll-(Bethany-obviously using a real baby wasn't an option, so I'm using a doll to represent Bethany-most of the shot include her facing the other way so the spectator will assume it is a real baby)
·         Baby clothing-hat, trousers and a top
·         Blanket (To show that Naomi is buying essentials for Bethany and that she has changed)
·         Baby bottle( ^)
·         Dummy
·         Teddy bear
·         Furniture in the house: kitchen appliances, bedroom furniture-wardrobe, draws, bedside tables etc.
·         Bag
·         Cards
·         Glasses
·         Cups                         
·         Bottles

The setting of my film will be in a house, using various rooms such as the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and the hallway. There will be a scene outdoors in the driveway, which is the place I have decided to use for the scene where Naomi's waters have broke. 
In terms of costume, everything will be kept simple, and the characters will wear things such as jeans, t-shirts, jackets, vest tops etc. This portrays a realistic image of many teenagers and the baby clothing is very realistic of the type of clothing in which babies often wear. 
Make up will be very minimal with only a few products used, such as mascara or some lipstick. 


  • Performance includes physical expression, vocal delivery and interaction between performers (with reference to issues of staging/choreography where relevant).
Performance will be a key feature in my imagined film. Much of the story telling will come from the things which the characters say, or by their actions, so it is essential that everything is done properly and that time is spent on this. The protagonist, Naomi will have a couple of scenes where she is crying, and this needs to look realistic. Since it is hard for people to 'cry' on demand, I have decided to show that Naomi is upset in a different way. I have decided that when she is crying, I will focus more on the sound of the crying, rather than the image of her crying, and by having the actress put her head down and use her hands to exaggerate the crying also. 

  • Cinematography includes photographic elements (e.g. camera position, colour, lens, depth of focus), lightingframing and composition and special effects.
In terms of cinematography within 'Naomi's Choice', I have decided to use a variety of different angled shots in order to show things such as the dominance of a character; or to help express how they are feeling. I am going to be using a few zooms, which will be used to higlight important things, for example, one scene will involve a zoom in on the bin in the bathroom, which is used to show the audience a pregnancy test-telling the spectator that Naomi has found out she is pregnant, instead of having Naomi say that she is pregnant to someone, I want the props to tell them.
In terms of special effects, I have decided to make the first few shots black and white. This is to emphasise that these are the memories Naomi has before she found out that she was pregnant, and also to show the characters development and transition; to highlight how she has matured over the time between the beginning of the film, and the end of the film.
  • Editing includes the organisation of time, both within a sequence and across sections of the narrative and the organisation of space, especially in creating coherence for the spectator. The principal conventions of continuity editing, such as shot/reverse shot and the 180 degree rule, will be studied. The uses of montage editing will also be considered.
I am going to be using dissolves in order to show a change over time, as these will help the film to progress to different parts of the narrative and I feel that they will help to tell the story to the spectator.   I will be using continuity editing for my film, as this will also help to tell the story.
  • Sound includes diegetic sound, non-diegetic sound and the variety of ways in which aural elements (e.g. speech, music and noise) are used in relation to visuals.
I have decided to use speech in my imagined film, to help the narrative progress. The only music I am including in my imagined film will be at the end. I have decided to use 'Never Grow Up' by Taylor Swift as it fits perfectly to the story and the situation Naomi was in, and connects to her being a mother and how she feels. I want this to gradually fade in as the film is coming to an end, and to carry on playing whilst the final credits are shown on screen. I think that this will provide a powerful ending to my film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment